If you have been made redundant it is important to firstly remember it is your position that became redundant, not you. For some, redundancy can be a complete shock and leave you feeling uncertain about your future. Here are some things you can do:
Make sure you understand the package
A redundancy package can be complex with a range of tax implications. You can reach out to your financial adviser or tax adviser if you have any questions.
Understand your options
You will likely have many questions and it will help to be aware of all the options that may be available to you.
- If I receive a lump sum should I pay down the mortgage? Or maximise pre-tax super contributions?
- Is this now the right time to retire?
- Do I need to secure new employment straight away?
- Do I need to seek employment at the same income level? Or is this an opportunity to scale back?
- Can and should I access super?
- How long can I afford to not be employed?
Each person’s redundancy scenario will be different so it makes sense to reach out and speak to someone who understands your individual financial circumstances and your lifestyle goals.
Here are just some of the ways we can assist you through this time:
- Listen to you and support you as you navigate your next steps
- Help you understand the redundancy package
- Review your budget and identify any changes to spending if required
- Determine your eligibility for Centrelink benefits
- Consider your retirement position
- Review potential opportunities
Please contact us with any questions regarding redundancy or other concerns you have during this time.
Contact us today
CALL (08) 7079 1077
This information and any advice in this website is of a general nature only and does not take into account the objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular person. It does not represent legal, property, tax, credit or personal financial advice and should not be relied on as such. You should obtain advice relevant to your circumstances before making decisions in relation to any matters discussed. You should obtain and consider the Product Disclosure Statement for any product discussed before making a decision to acquire that product. The case studies are hypothetical, for illustration purposes only and are not based on actual returns. You should seek specialist advice from a tax professional to confirm the impact of any advice on your overall personal tax position. Taxation information is based on our interpretation of the relevant laws as applied at the date of this communication. Nothing in this website represents an offer or solicitation in relation to property, securities, investments, financial services or credit in any jurisdiction. While every care has been taken in the preparation of this information, it may not remain current after the date of publication and Cotter Financial Group and its related bodies corporate make no representation as to its accuracy or completeness.